Perspectives and Insight from Leading Women’s Health Professionals
Dilapan-S®: The Versatile, Non-Pharmacologic Choice for Cervical Ripening
Listen to Antonio Saad, MD, an expert in Obstetrics and Gynecology, discuss the safety and efficacy of
Antonio Saad, MD, is a maternal-fetal medicine physician at UTMB Galveston and lead author of the DILAFOL study. Dr. Saad graduated from American University of Beirut / Faculty of Medicine medical school in 2004 and has over 17 years of experience in the medical field.
Q&A with Antonio Saad, MD
- Can you describe the rod insertion process in a tactile sense? For example, do you observe a change in resistance when inserting the rods?
- Is a second set of forceps often used or does the cervix typically come into line just with the speculum?
- How do you account for the number of gauzes used?
- What is the risk of ruptured membrane with Dilapan-S®?
- What about patients who go into active labor with Dilapan-S® still in place?
- What action should be taken if Dilapan-S® falls out?
At-Home Cervical Ripening with
Watch this video to learn how
Dilapan-S® gives providers and expectant mothers new options and more flexibility with at-home cervical ripening prior to induction of labor.
Lauren Guehl is a Certified Nurse-Midwife and Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner at Elm Midwifery & Women’s Health in San Antonio, Texas. She earned her Masters in Nursing in 2007 and has expertise in private practice, hospital, and at-home birthing environments.